Friday, August 26, 2011

My Affordable Gourmet Baon

In an effort to stay health conscious, I replaced my daily rice meal lunch with a sandwich. Since there isn't a lot of affordable sandwich choices you can buy, other than opting for burgers, I started bringing my own bread and filling to work. I like eating my sandwiches one slice at a time, and folded up to make a mini sandwich, so I end up eating anything from 2 to three slices at a time. When I skip breakfast, 3 slices fills me up quite nicely until the next breaktime, and doesn't leave me distracted by hunger pangs throughout the day.

I've found that this method is extremely cost-saving. Here's the breakdown of some of my sample sandwiches - all made from easy to bring and store options:

 

Sandwich #1: Instant Ulam-wich

Php14.00 - 2-3 slices of Gardenia Wheat bread (price based on a whole loaf of bread est. at 17slices)

Php14.75 - 1 pack of Wow! Ulam

Php 5.00 - 1 pack of Cheezee cheese spread

------------------------

Php 33.75 Total

Php25.00 (optional) 1 sachet of Campbell's Instant Mushroom Soup

 

Sandwich #2: Ham lover

Php14.00 - 2-3 slices of Gardenia Wheat bread (price based on a whole loaf of bread est. at 17slices)

Php21.00 - 2-3 slices Purefood vacuum-fresh ham

Php 6.00 - green ice lettuce (price based on whole green ice lettuce est. at Php35.00 per head, distributed over 6 days consumption)

Php 5.00 - 1 pack of Cheezee cheese spread

------------------------

Php 46.00 Total

Php25.00 (optional) 1 sachet of Campbell's Instant Mushroom Soup

 

A full meal, ready to go, all for below fifty pesos (Php50.00)! I always add a pack of soup for myself, such as Campbell's Instant Mushroom Soup, to enhance my meal. But for non-soup lovers, you can opt for a hot chocolate or coffee drink to counter the saltiness of your sandwich.

Experiment on what fillings you can use for your sandwiches. I've done a chicken pesto sandwich before using leftover KFC chicken and 2 spoons of bottled pesto. Or you can try a japanese sandwich by bringing some frozen crabsticks, some japanese mayo and a bit of lettuce. When you slap it all together, and wrap it in a nice sandwich bag, nobody would suspect you didn't buy it from the nearest coffeeshop. And even if you don't disguise it, you won't lose pogi points by showing a little bit of flair in your food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment